Rick Clugston was Project Coordinator for the Earth Charter Scholarship Project at the Center for Environmental and Sustainability Education (CESE) at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) from 2009-2012. His primary responsibilities included developing Earth Charter based resources for higher education, contributing to the sustainability mission of FGCU and representing CESE in the preparations for, negotiations at, and follow-up to the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (also called Rio+20).
Rick and Wynn Calder joined together as co-directors of ULSF in the fall of 2012. Rick served as executive director of the Center for Respect of Life and Environment (CRLE) in Washington, DC, from 1989 to 2007 and was director of ULSF from 1997 to 2007. Rick was the Deputy Editor of The International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education (MCB University Publications), and publisher and editor of Earth Ethics: Evolving Values for an Earth Community. He was a cofounder of the Global Higher Education for Sustainability Partnership, and has worked extensively with United Nations agencies and commissions.
Prior to coming to Washington, Rick worked for the University of Minnesota for 11 years, first as a faculty member in the College of Human Ecology, and later as a strategic planner in Academic Affairs, Continuing Education and the Office of the President. He was a consultant to the State Department of Education, the Minnesota Business Partnership, and various colleges and school systems on educational improvement. Rick has taught and published on human development, strategic planning, educational reform, and most recently on environmental ethics, spirituality and sustainability.
Rick received his doctorate in Higher Education from the University of Minnesota (1987), and his masters in Human Development from the University of Chicago (1977). As an undergraduate psychology and biochemistry major at the University of Minnesota (1975), he received the Mayo Foundation Scholarship for Medicine and Medicine Related Fields. His doctoral thesis was selected as dissertation of the year by the American Association of University Administrators.
Selected publications include:
- Clugston, R. and S. Holt (eds.). “Faith Values and Education for Sustainable Development.” Education for Sustainable Development in Action: Education for Sustainable Development Policy Dialogue n°2. UNESCO, Paris, September 2011
- Clugston,R. “Earth Charter Education for Sustainable Ways of Living,” in R. Clugston and M.Vilela (Eds.) Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, Sage, Vol. 4, September 2010.
- Clugston, R. and W. Calder, “Food and Higher Education for Sustainable Development,” in K. Chhokar and M. Paden (Eds.) Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, Sage, Vol. 1. No. 2, July- December 2007.
- Clugston, R., "The UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development," SGI Quarterly, Soka Gakkai International, October 2004.
- Clugston, R. “Humane Sustainable Development,” in R. Clugston (Ed.) Earth Ethics: Evolving Values for an Earth Community, Vol. 12. No. 1, Spring 2004.
- Calder, W. and R. Clugston, “Lighting Many Fires: South Carolina’s Sustainable Universities Initiative,” in Higher Education and the Challenge of Sustainability: Problematics, Promise, and Practice, Peter Blaze Corcoran and Arjen E.J. Wals, Eds., Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht, 2004.
- Clugston, R. and P.B. Corcoran. “Teaching for the Environment in Higher Education: The Promise of the Earth Charter,” in R. Tchen and P. B. Corcoran (Eds.) Earth Ethics: Evolving Values for an Earth Community, Fall 2003.
- Calder, W. and R. Clugston, “International Efforts to Promote Higher Education for Sustainable Development,” in Planning for Higher Education, Journal of the Society for College and University Planning, Spring 2003.
- Clugston, R., and W. Calder. "Critical Dimensions of Sustainability in Higher Education," in W. Leal Filho (Ed.), Sustainability and University Life, New York, NY: Peter Lang Scientific Publishers, 1999.