Since its creation in 1990, the Talloires Declaration has played
a major role in raising awareness in the U.S. and around the world
about the relevance of sustainability to higher education. The
declaration's 10-point action plan is intentionally broad, covering
the major areas of university activity: teaching, research, operations,
outreach and service. The Declaration is designed to be interpreted
and shaped for each individual institution.
The institutional benefits of signing the Talloires Declaration
include the following five:
1) The Declaration is an historic document that over 350
university and college presidents worldwide have signed.
2) Signing the Declaration joins your institution with
an international network of colleges and universities committed
to a sustainable future.
3) The Declaration can provide inspiration and motivation
to pursue environmental and sustainability initiatives on campus.
4) The Declaration provides a comprehensive framework
for shaping steady progress toward sustainability.
5) Signing the Declaration constitutes a commitment to
which the institution can be held accountable over time.